3/01/2010

learning dhivehi

Pronunciation guide
Dhivehi romanization is somewhat inconsistent. This phrasebook uses the Malé (Nasiri) Latin standard used in the Maldives, with SAMT (Indic) spellings in parentheses when different.

Vowels
a
as in up
aa (ā)
as in arm
i
as in if
ee (ī)
as in eel
u
as in put
oo (ū)
as in cartoon
e
as in egg
ey (ē)
as in hey
o
as in of
oa (ō)
as in born
ai
au
[edit] Consonants
[edit] Common diphthongs
[edit] Phrase list
[edit] Basics
Hello.
Assalaamu alaikum. ( )
Hello. (informal)
. ( )
How are you?
Haalu kihineh?
How are you? (informal)
Kihineh? ( ?)
Fine, thank you.
Ran'galhu, shukuriyaa. ( )
What is your name?
Kon nameh kiyanee? ( ?)
My name is ______ .
Aharenge namakee ______ . ( _____ .)
Nice to meet you.
badhalu vee thi varah ufavejey . ( )
Please.
adhes kohfa. ( )
Thank you.
Shukuriyaa. ( )
You're welcome.
Maruhabaa. ( )
Yes.
Aan. ( )
No.
Noon. ( )
Excuse me. (getting attention)
. ( )
Excuse me. (begging pardon)
. ( )
I'm sorry.
Ma-aafu kurey. ( )
Goodbye
( )
Goodbye (informal)
Dhanee. ( )
I can't speak name of language [well].
[ ]ahanakha thi bahe negey . ( [ ])
Do you speak English?
Ingireysin vaahaka dhakkan ingeytha? ( ?)
Is there someone here who speaks English?
mithaa ingireysin vahaka dhakan ingey mehaku eba huri tha ? ( ?)
Help!
salaamai ! ( !)
Look out!
balaa balashey ! ( !)
Good morning.
bajaveri hendhune . ( )
Good evening.
bajaveri haveer eh . ( )
Good night.
bajaveri regade . ( )
Good night (to sleep)
ufaaveri nidhume . ( )
I don't understand.
Ahannakah neyngunu. ( )
Where is the toilet?
Faahanaa kobaitha? ( ?)
Questions
where?
kobaa?
why?
keevve?
who?
kaaku?
what?
koacheh?
there
ethaa
here
mithaa
this
mi
that
e
Problems
Leave me alone.
aharen ekani dhukoh laa . (...)
Don't touch me!
aharen gaiga aie nulaa (...)
I'll call the police.
aharen sifainge ah gulhaanan. (...)
Police!
sifain! (...)
Stop! Thief!
huttey! vageh! (...)
I need your help.
ahanah eheetheri kan beynun. (...)
It's an emergency.
mee kulli haalatheh. (...)
I'm lost.
aharen miulhenee gelligen. (...)
I lost my bag.
aharen ge dhabas gelije. (...)
I lost my wallet.
aharenge laari dhabas gellije. (...)
I'm sick.
aharen miulhenee balive. (...)
I've been injured.
aharennah haanika vejje . (...)
I need a doctor.
aharen doctor eh beynun. (...)
Can I use your phone?
ahannah kaleyge phoanu beynun kurevidhaane tha? (...)
Numbers
1
one (Ekeh)
2
two (Dehyh)
3
three (Thineh)
4
four (Hathareh)
5
five (Faheh)
6
six (Hayeh)
7
seven (Hatheh)
8
eight (Asheh)
9
nine (Nuvaeh)
10
ten (Dhihaeh)
11
eleven (Egaara)
12
twelve (Baara)
13
thirteen (Theyra)
14
fourteen (Saadha)
15
fifteen (Fanara)
16
sixteen (Soalha)
17
seventeen (Sathaara)
18
eighteen (Ashaara)
19
nineteen (Navaara)
20
twenty (Vihi)
21
twenty one (Ekaavees)
22
twenty two (Baavees)
23
twenty three (Theyvees)
30
thirty (Thirees)
40
forty (Saalhees)
50
fifty (Fansaas)
60
sixty (Fasdholhos)
70
seventy (Haiydhiha)
80
eighty (Addiha)
90
ninety (Nuvadhiha)
100
one hundred (Satheyka)
200
two hundred (Dhuisaththa)
300
three hundred (Thin Satheyka)
1000
one thousand (Enchaas')
2000
two thousand (Dhehaas)
1,000,000
one million (Ehmilian)
1,000,000,000
one thousand million in UK, one billion in USA
1,000,000,000,000
one billion in UK, one trillion in USA
number _____ (train, bus, etc.)
number _____ (...)
half
eh bai
less
madhu
more
gina
Time
What time is it?
Gadin kihaa ireh?
now
mihaaru
later
fahun
before
kurin
morning
hendhunu
afternoon
mendhuru
evening
haveeru
night
reygandu
Clock time
one o'clock AM
dhanvaru ekeh jahaifi
two o'clock AM
dhanvaru dheyh jahaifi
noon
mendhuru
one o'clock PM
mendhuru ekeh jahaifi
two o'clock PM
mendhuru dehyh jahaifi
midnight
mendhan
Duration
_____ minute(s)
_____ minute(s) (...)
_____ hour(s)
_____ gadi-iru
_____ day(s)
_____ dhuvas
_____ week(s)
_____ hafthaa
_____ month(s)
_____ mas
_____ year(s)
_____ aharu
Days
today
miadhu
yesterday
iyye
tomorrow
maadhan
this week
mi hafthaa
last week
midhiya hafthaa
next week
anna hafthaa
Sunday
aadhittha
Monday
hoama
Tuesday
angaara
Wednesday
budha
Thursday
buraasfathi
Friday
hukuru
Saturday
honihiru
Months
January
January (...)
February
February (...)
March
March (...)
April
April (...)
May
May (...)
June
June (...)
July
July (...)
August
August (...)
September
September (...)
October
October (...)
November
November (...)
December
December (...)
Writing time and date
Give some examples how to write clock times and dates if it differs from English.

===Colors===(kula)

black
(kalhu)
white
(hudhu)
gray
(alhi)
red
(raiy)
blue
(noo)
yellow
(reendhoo)
green
(fehi)
orange
(niyadhuru)
purple
(dhambu)
brown
(garagui)
Transportation
How much is a ticket to _____?
kihaavara kah tha ticket _____? (...)
One ticket to _____, please.
eh ticket _____, please. (...)
Where does this go?
Kon thanakah thi dhanee? (...)
Where is the boat to _____?
koba boat _____? (...)
Does this boat stop in _____?
mi boat hutaa tha _____? (...)
What time are we leaving?
Aharemen dhanee kon irakun? (...)
How long does it take?
Kihaa ireh nagaanee? (...)
Directions
How do I get to _____ ?
kehene aharen dhanee _____ ? (...)
...the airport?
...airport ah or vaige bandharah? (...)
...downtown?
...rashuthere ah? (...)
...the youth hostel?
...zuvaanunge marukazah? (...)
...the _____ hotel?
...the _____ hotel? (...)
...the American/Canadian/Australian/British consulate?
...the American/Canadian/Australian/British consulate? (...)
Where are there a lot of...
konthaaku hunnaanee emme gina... (...)
...hotels?
...hotaa? (...)
...restaurants?
...restaurants? (...)
...bars?
...bars? (...)
...sites to see?
...balaane thanthan? (...)
Can you show me on the map?
mi chaatun aharen dhakaba? (...)
street
magu
Turn left.
vaathah eburey
Turn right.
kanaathah eburey
left
vai
right
kanaai
straight ahead
kuri ah
towards the _____dhimaal ah _____ (...)
past the _____
ethan dhukoha fa _____ (...)
before the _____
kuri mathin _____ (...)
Watch for the _____.
ethanah balamun
intersection
intersection (...
north
north (...)
south
south (...)
east
irumathi (...)
west
hulhangu (...)
uphill
uphill (...)
downhill
downhill (...)
Taxi
Taxi!
Taxi! (...)
Take me to _____, please.
aharen gengos faanan tha _____, please. (...)
How much does it cost to get to _____?
ethanah dhaan kihaavareh nagaa tha _____?
Take me there, please.
ethanah gengos dheefanan tha?
[edit] Lodging
Do you have any rooms available?
Evves kotarieh liben ebahuri tha? (...)
How much is a room for one person/two people?
ekakah/ dhemeehunah kotari huree kihaavarkah tha?
Does the room come with...
Kotariaai eku veytha... (...)
...bedsheets?
Edhu fothigan'du? (...)
...a bathroom?
Faakhaanaa? (...)
...a telephone?
Foanu? (...)
...a TV?
TV ? (...)
May I see the room first?
Furatham ahannah kotari balaa levidhaanetha? (...)
Do you have anything quieter?
Miah vure hama himeyn thaneh neytha? (...)
...bigger?
Bodu? (...)
...cleaner?
Saafu thaahiru? (...)
...cheaper?
Agu heyo? (...)
OK, I'll take it.
Massala eh ney, aharen mikotari nagaanan. (...)
I will stay for _____ night(s).
Aharen hunnaanee _____ rey vandhen. (...)
Can you suggest another hotel?
Kaley ahannah ehen hotaleh bunedheefaanantha? (...)
Do you have a safe?
Thijooree eh hureytha? (...)
...lockers?
...lockers? (...)
Is breakfast/supper included?
Hedhunuge naasthaa/reygadu keumaai ekkohtha? (...)
What time is breakfast/supper?
Kaa gadi thakakee kobaa? (...)
Please clean my room.
Kotari saafukoh dhevvaa. (...)
Can you wake me at _____? | Kaley ahannah govaa dheefaanantha _____ iru? (...)
I want to check out.
Aharen mithanun dhaan beynun (...)
Money
Do you accept American/Australian/Canadian dollars?
Kaley, Amerikaa/Australia/Kenedaa ge dollaru gaboolu kurantha? (...)
Do you accept British pounds?
Kaley, In'gireysi Pound gaboolu kurantha? (...)
Do you accept credit cards?
Kaley, credit card gaboolu kurantha? (...)
Can you change money for me?
Kaley ahannah faisaa maarukoh dheefaanantha? (...)
Where can I get money changed?
Konthaakun, aharen faisaa maarukuraanee? (...)
Can you change a traveler's check for me?
Kaley, ahannah Travellers chequeh maarukoh dheefaanantha? (...)
Where can I get a traveler's check changed?
Konthaakun, Aharen Travellers chequeh maaru kuraanee? (...)
What is the exchange rate?
Faisaa maaru kuraa reytakee kobaa? (...)
Where is an automatic teller machine (ATM)?
Kobaa faisaa nagaa mashinu(ATM)? (...)
Eating
A table for one person/two people, please.
A table for one person/two people, please. (...)
Can I look at the menu, please?
Ahannah menu balaalevidhaanetha? (...)
Can I look in the kitchen?
Badhige there balaalevidhaanetha? (...)
Is there a house specialty?
Mithanuge khaassa keumeh veytha? (...)
Is there a local specialty?
Is there a local specialty? (...)
I'm a vegetarian.
Ahannakee mas nukaa meeheh. (...)
I don't eat pork.
Aharen ooru maheh nukan. (...)
I don't eat beef.
Aharen geri maheh nukan. (...)
I only eat kosher food.
Aharen hama ekani kanee kosher (Yahoodhee keumeh) kaanaa. (...)
Can you make it "lite", please? (less oil/butter/lard)
Can you make it "lite", please? (...)
fixed-price meal
fixed-price meal (...)
a la carte
a la carte (...)
breakfast
Hedhunuge naasthaa (...)
lunch
Mendhuru keun (...)
tea (meal)
Sai (keun) (...)
supper
supper (...)
I want _____.
Aharen beynun _____. (...)
I want a dish containing _____.
I want a dish containing _____. (...)
chicken
Kukulhumas (...)
beef
Gerimas(...)
fish
Mas (...)
ham
ham (...)
sausage
sausage (...)
cheese
cheese (...)
eggs
Kukulhu Bis (...)
salad
Satani (...)
(fresh) vegetables
(Thaazaa) Tharukaaree (...)
(fresh) fruit
(Thaazaa) Meyvaa (...)
bread
Paan (...)
toast
toast (...)
noodles
noodulus (...)
rice
Baiy (...)
beans
Tholhi (...)
May I have a glass of _____?
May I have a glass of _____? (...)
May I have a cup of _____?
May I have a cup of _____? (...)
May I have a bottle of _____?
May I have a bottle of _____? (...)
coffee
coffee (...)
tea (drink)
Sai (Buin) (...)
juice
Joos (...)
(bubbly) water
Fen (...)
water
Fen (...)
beer
beer (...)
red/white wine
red/white wine (...)
May I have some _____?
May I have some _____? (...)
salt
Lonu (...)
black pepper
Aseymirus (...)
butter
bataru (...)
Excuse me, waiter? (getting attention of server)
Excuse me, waiter? (...)
I'm finished.
Aharen nimmijje. (...)
It was delicious.
Varah meeru. (...)
Please clear the plates.
Please clear the plates. (...)
The check, please.
The check, please. (...)
[edit] Bars
Do you serve alcohol?
Mithaaga raa vihkan tha? (...)
Is there table service?
Is there table service? (...)
A beer/two beers, please.
Biareh/dhe Biaru, libidhaanetha. (...)
A glass of red/white wine, please.
A glass of red/white wine, please. (...)
A pint, please.
A pint, please. (...)
A bottle, please.
A bottle, please. (...)
_____ (hard liquor) and _____ (mixer), please.
_____ and _____, please. (...)
whiskey
whiskey (...)
vodka
voduka (...)
rum
rum (...)
water
fenn (...)
club soda
club soda (...)
tonic water
tonic water (...)
orange juice
orange juice (...)
Coke (soda)
Coke (...)
Do you have any bar snacks?
Do you have any bar snacks? (...)
One more, please.
One more, please. (...)
Another round, please.
Another round, please. (...)
When is closing time?
When is closing time? (...)
Cheers!
Cheers! (...)
[edit] Shopping
Do you have this in my size?
Meetheege aharenge sizuge ebahuritha?(...)
How much is this?
Meege agu kihaavareh? (...)
That's too expensive.
Thi maa agu bodu! (...)
Would you take _____?
Nangavaa nantha ........? (...)
expensive
Agu bodu (...)
cheap
Agu heyo (...)
I can't afford it.
Ahannakah nuganeveyne thieh? (...)
I don't want it.
Aharen thiyeh beynumeh nun (...)
You're cheating me.
Kaley Ahannah olhuvaalaneetha? (...)
I'm not interested.
Aharen shauguveri eh nun (..)
OK, I'll take it.
Massalaeh ney aharen thi gendhaanan (...)
Can I have a bag?
Kothalheh libidhaanetha? (...)
Do you ship (overseas)?
Ehen Gaumuthakah kan;du magun fonuvaa dhentha? (...)
I need...
Aharen beynun (...)
...toothpaste.
Dhaiy ugulhaa beys. (...)
...a toothbrush.
Dhaiy ugulhaa burus. (...)
...tampons.
...tampons. (...)
...soap.
Saiboani. (...)
...shampoo.
...shampoo. (...)
...pain reliever. (e.g., aspirin or ibuprofen)
Thadhu kan'duvaa beys. (...)
...cold medicine.
Aridhafuhuge beys. (...)
...stomach medicine.
Badah thadhuvaathee kaa beys. (...)
...a razor.
...Reyzaru. (...)
...an umbrella.
Kuda. (...)
...sunblock lotion.
Avi bahdhaa loashan. (...)
...a postcard.
...Postcardeh. (...)
...postage stamps.
isteympu. (...)
...batteries.
Beteri. (...)
...writing paper.
Liyaa karudhaas. (...)
...a pen.
Galameh. (...)
...English-language books.
In'gireysi foythah. (...)
...English-language magazines.
In'gireysi Majallaathah. (...)
...an English-language newspaper.
...In'gireysi nooheh. (...)
...an English-English dictionary.
...In'gireysi baskoshaaru. (...)
Driving
I want to rent a car.
Aharen beynun vanee Kaareh kuyyah hifan(...)
Can I get insurance?
Insurance kurevidhaanetha?(...)
stop (on a street sign)
Huttey (...)
one way
Eh kolhah dhuvvaa mageh (...)
yield
yield (...)
no parking
Park kurun manaa (...)
speed limit
speed limit (...)
gas (petrol) station
gas station (...)
petrol
petrol (...)
diesel
diesel (...)
Authority
I haven't done anything wrong.
Alhugandu kusheh nukuran. (...)
It was a misunderstanding.
Thee olhumeh. (...)
Where are you taking me?
Alhugandu kon thaakah thigendhanee? (...)
Am I under arrest?
Aharen mihiree hahyarukohfa tha? (...)
I am an American/Australian/British/Canadian citizen.
I am an American/Australian/British/Canadian citizen. (Ahannakee Amerikaage/Australiaage/In'gireysivilaathuge/Kenedaage Raiyyitheh...)
I want to talk to the American/Australian/British/Canadian embassy/consulate.
I need to talk to the American/Australian/British/Canadian embassy/consulate. (...)
I want to talk to a lawyer.
I want to talk to a lawyer. (Aharen Qaanoonee Vakeelakaa vaahaka dhakkan beynun)
Can I just pay a fine now?
Can I just pay a fine now? (Aharennah Joorimanaa akun mikan ninmidhaanetha...)
Learning more
This is where you'd give more information on learning the language, such as links to online courses or textbooks, or suggestions for in-person courses to take, or pointers to a dictionary or two.

How do you say _____ ?
Kihineh bunaanee _____ ? (...)
What is this/that called?
miah/eah kiyany keekay? (...)

No comments:

Post a Comment